[Lightning-dev] General questions about channels

Christian Decker decker.christian at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 13:11:50 UTC 2018

I see, are you suggesting that large channels could be an indicator of a
large actor trying to attract a lot of payment traffic? Not sure whether
that is really a good measure, since it is trivial for a large node to
masquerade as any number of smaller nodes, thus hiding its size.

We definitely want to discourage this kind of masquerades since it
causes a lot more transactions on-chain and results in UTXO
fragmentation. In addition what we actually try to guard against are
hubs, which have a lot of channels open, not large ones :-)

Cheers,
Christian