[Lightning-dev] [1.1] Proposed `funding_cancelled` message

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Mon Jan 15 02:14:57 UTC 2018

Good morning Matt,

Though the cost may be trivial for single channels, the cost can be made arbitrarily high by a malicious node that just keeps sending `open_channel` -> `funding_created` with random numbers for transaction ID.  It seems sensible for a node implementation to allow limiting the number of pending channel opens for each peer to avoid this (e.g. c-lightning currently limits one-channel-one-peer, even at opening).  The intent of `funding_cancelled` is: an honest party can free up the limited resource "number of pending channel opens" by using this message, without having to wait for the timeout, whatever the timeout is defined to be.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj