[Lightning-dev] Rebalancing argument

Dmytro Piatkivskyi dmytro.piatkivskyi at ntnu.no
Sun Jul 1 13:38:41 UTC 2018

Hi Rene,

Thanks for your answer!

1. The Lightning network operates under different assumptions, that is true. However, the difference is minor in terms of the issue posed. The premise for the quoted statement is that taking fees changes the nodes’ balances, therefore selected paths affect the liquidity. In the Lightning network fees are very small, so the change in liquidity may be negligible. Moreover, intermediate nodes gain in fees, which only increases the liquidity.

2.A. It is too early to speculate where the privacy requirements will settle down. Flare suggests a mechanism of sharing the infrastructure view between nodes, possibly sharing weights. As the network grows routing will become more difficult, however we don’t know yet to which extent. It may organise itself in ‘domains’, so when we send a payment we know to which domain we are sending to, knowing the path to it beforehand. The point is we don’t know yet, so we can’t speculate.

2.B. That is surely an interesting aspect. HTLC locks temporarily downgrade the network liquidity. Now the question is how it changes the order of transactions and how that order change affects the transaction feasibility. Does it render some transactions infeasible or just defers them? It definitely needs a closer look.

Yet the question remains — are there obvious advantages of cycle transactions over a smart fee/routing system? In any sense. Path lengths, for example. To answer that I am going to run a simulation, but also would appreciate your opinions.

Best,
Dmytro