[Lightning-dev] Pinging a route for capacity

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Fri Mar 2 07:53:46 UTC 2018

Good morning Rene,

Please consider the recent discussion about AMP, atomic multi-path. https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/lightning-dev/2018-February/000993.html

Note that only the source (payer) can split the payment into multiple smaller payments; we cannot safely let intermediaries split the payment as the intermediaries may very well decide to send it to a ridiculously high-fee channel.  So the payer will make multiple payments that can only be merged at the destination, each sub-payment has a single route and itself cannot be split unless the payer decides to split.

> Not sure however how the impacts to the HTLC would be and if it would actually be possible to fragment a payment that is encapsulated within the onion routing.

The timeouts in particular would be impossible to handle.  At any point the payment should reach the payee within some N blocks and each hop reduces that margin by a small amount (14 blocks for c-lightning if I remember correctly).  It is likely that there will not be enough time if it goes through a detour, unless the detour has equal or smaller reduction (delay) than the original hop with insufficient monetary capacity.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj