[Lightning-dev] New form of 51% attack via lightning's revocation system possible?

Christian Decker decker.christian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 14:55:10 UTC 2018

Hi René,

very good question. I think the simple answer is that this is exactly
the reason why not having a participant in the network that can 51%
attack over a prolonged period is one of the base assumptions in
Lightning. These attacks are deadly to all blockchains, and we are
certainly no different in that regard.

More interesting is the assertion that this may indeed be more dangerous
than a classical 51% attack, in which an attacker can only doublespend
funds that she had control over at some point during the attack
(duration being defined as the period she can build a hidden fork of). I
think the case for Lightning is not more dangerous since what they could
do is enforce an old state in which they had a higher balance than in
the final state, without incurring in a penalty. The key observation is
that in this old state they actually had to have the balance they are
stealing on the channel. So this maps directly to the classical
scenario in which an attacker simply doublespends funds they had control
over during the attack, making the attack pretty much the same.

Another interesting observation is that with Lightning the state that
the attacker is enforcing may predate the attack, e.g., an attacker
could use a state that existed and was replaced before it started
generating its fork. This is in contrast to the classical doublespend
attack in which invalidated spends have to happen after the fork
started, and the attacker just filters them from its fork.

But as I said before, if we can't count on there not being a 51%
attacker, then things are pretty much broken anyway :-)

Cheers,
Christian

René Pickhardt via Lightning-dev