[Lightning-dev] New form of 51% attack via lightning's revocation system possible?

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Wed Mar 14 03:46:11 UTC 2018

Good morning Rene,

The attack is possible but requires the combination of the below:

1.  A large 51% miner.
2.  Many channels share-owned by the miner.
3.  Large capacities in each channel share-owned by the miner.

Individual nodes can protect against these as below:

1.  Contributing hashpower to a decentralized mining aggregator (e.g. P2Pool).
2.1.  Disallow more than n channels with a single node, with small n (ideally 1 as c-lightning does).
2.2.  Insist on a blocksize limit.
3.  Limit capacities per channel (e.g. 167.77215mBTC max capacity).

Against protection #2.1 the attacker can run many nodes, but each node at least consumes some resource that could have been used for e.g. hashing.

Against protection #3 the attacker can do nothing; if one side refuses to make larger than 167.77215 mBTC, the channel cannot be established.

The blocksize limit is important since the number of channels that can be stolen in a single block is bounded by the blocksize.  In combination with channel capacity limit, this increases the number of blocks needed to secretly mine to complete the attack.

* If we impose a limit of 167.77216mBTC per channel, we need 6 channels to steal 1BTC.
* To steal 1M BTC we need 6 million channels, which cannot fit in a block.
* About 2000 transactions can fit in a block so that is 2000 channels closed per block.
* To close 6 million channels you need to secretly mine 3000 blocks, which is about 20 days.

Note that this only *closes* the channels: you also need to claim the commitment transactions, which is another 3000 blocks (an additional 20 or so days).

Thus the block size limit and the channel capacity limit are vital protections against this attack.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj