[Lightning-dev] Scriptless Scripts with ECDSA

Benjamin Mord ben at mord.family
Tue May 8 12:44:41 UTC 2018

If I'm not mistaken, the scriptless scripts concept (as currently
formulated) falls to Schor's algorithm, and at present there is no
alternative implementation of the concept to fall back on. Correct? Lest we
build a house of cards, I'd strongly urge everyone to not depend on
functional concepts whose underlying cryptographic primitives cannot be
swapped in an emergency.

Sure, we use ecdsa for example (which is also vulnerable to Schor's
algorithm), but in contrast to scriptless scripts we have a variety of
backup primitives at our disposal that fulfill the same functional
objective.

If scriptless scripts are found possible under lattice-based cryptography
for example, that would be something I suppose. The functional concept of
scriptless scripts is indeed very awesome - we just need to add some
cryptographic conservatism before we build on it.