[Lightning-dev] Mitigations for loop attacks

Jim Posen jim.posen at gmail.com
Sat May 19 00:54:49 UTC 2018

Yes Rusty, you are correct that an attacker still gets leverage on their
ability to destroy reputation unless the loss rates increase exponentially.
And I agree that would be a very steep increase, serving do decrease
circuit lengths dramatically. The reasoning for the linear increase in
reputation loss comes from viewing reputation loss as compensation for
time-value lost in locked HTLCs. In a sense, every node pays in reputation
for all of the time-value locked in HTLCs upstream from them in proportion
to the value assigned to it by the owners of the funds.

I'm not sure whether this would be an acceptable way of pricing payment
delays, though I do think it is important to make attackers pay for the
resources they are wasting on the network in some form.