[Lightning-dev] Improving payment UX with low-latency route probing

Pierre pm+lists at acinq.fr
Wed Nov 7 00:18:08 UTC 2018

Hi Laolu and Fabrice,

> I think HORNET would address this rather nicely!

HORNET sounds awesome, but does it really address the specific issue
Fabrice is describing though? IIUC, HORNET would operate at a lower
layer and it could be possible to have a valid circuit and still
indefinitely waiting for a revocation. OTOH it certainly would address
the case where the peer is completely unresponsive.

For example, I have already seen peers which don't send revocations,
but e.g. respond to pings just fine.

Actually, re-reading Fabrice's proposal I wonder if one could make the
same comment about it. Would the 0-satoshi payment require the
commit_sig/revoke_and_ack dance? If not, would we really gain more
confidence in the availability of the peers in the route?

>> It is already possible to partially mitigate this by disconnecting
from a node that is taking too long to send a revocation (after 30
seconds for example)

Actually I think this would substantially improve the issue at hand. I
believe we should probably add this to BOLT 2 in the form of a
"SHOULD" clause. I feel bad because in [1] I suggested doing just that
in lnd, but we don't actually do it in eclair :-/ Will eat my own dog
food asap!

Cheers,

Pierre

[1] https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lnd/issues/2045#issuecomment-429561637