[Lightning-dev] Wireshark plug-in for Lightning Network(BOLT) protocol

tock203 tomokio203 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 05:43:03 UTC 2018

We implemented the latter scheme. lightning-dissector already supports key
rotation.
FYI, here's the key log file format lightning-dissector currently
implements.
https://github.com/nayutaco/lightning-dissector/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#by-dumping-key-log-file

Whenever key rotation happens(nonce==0), lightning node software write
16byteMAC & key of "first BOLT packet".
When you read .pcap starts with a message whose nonce is not 0, the
messages can not be decrypted until the next key rotation.

The current design is as described above. Because it is a provisional
specification, any opinion is welcome.