[Lightning-dev] Base AMP

Conner Fromknecht conner at lightning.engineering
Tue Nov 13 19:00:48 UTC 2018

Good morning all,

> MUST NOT forward (if an intermediate node) or claim (if the final node) unless
> it has received a total greater or equal to `intended_total_payment` in all
> incoming HTLCs for the same `payment_hash`.

I was under the impression that this would not require changes on behalf of the
intermediaries, and only need to be implemented by the sender and receiver?
If not, then nodes would need to advertise that they support this so that the
sender can be sure to route through the subset of nodes that support it.

Either way, it would seem that this constraint can only be accurately enforced
by the receiver. If any partial payments fail, then the `intended_total_payment`
through an intermediary may never arise and the payment would be held. This
would also seem to exclude the possibility of iterative path finding, since the
entire payment flow must be known up front during onion packet construction.

Seems the proposal still works without the intermediaries needing to know this?

We may want to add that the receiver:
* SHOULD fail the payment if `intended_total_payment` is less than the invoice
   amount

> I'm wondering, since these payments are no longer atomic, should we name it
> accordingly?

Indeed this true. Perhaps NAMP or CPHR (Concurrent Payment Hash Re-use) are more
accurate and may avoid confusion?

Cheers,
Conner