[Lightning-dev] type,len,value standard

Conner Fromknecht conner at lightning.engineering
Fri Nov 16 00:12:45 UTC 2018

Hi ZmnSCPxj,

Precisely, something like that is what I had in mind.

Since the max message size is 65KB, one option could be to only allow
the varint to
be max 2 bytes where:
 - if the 8th bit is not set, the lowest 7 bits of the first bytes
translate to 0 - 127
 - if the 8th bit is set, this implies that the second byte is also
treated as part of the
   length, and the total value is 0x7f & first byte + second byte << 7

This would be fairly straightforward to implement, at the cost of
limiting a particular
field to 2^15 bytes. I wonder, is this too restrictive?

At the same time, we could offer a varint that could extend up to the
three bytes.
The third byte would only come in to play if the length of the field
is greater than
2^14 - 1. The argument could be made that for values of this size, one
extra byte
is irrelevant compared to the size of these larger fields.

Cheers,
Conner