[Lightning-dev] Açai: a backup protocol for Lightning Network wallets

Margherita Favaretto favarett.margherita at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 03:13:43 UTC 2018

Hello, lightning dev community,

I’m writing to you to share an update of my Master Thesis project (previous
object e-mail: Recovering protocol for Lightning network 11/12/2018),
regarding a recovery mechanism of false positive in the Lightning network.

First of all, I'd like to thank Conner Fromknecht and Alex Bosworth for the
discussion during this week, and ZmnSCPxj for the feedback to my previous
email: all your suggestions were very important to proceed with my work.

Thanks also to Olaoluwa Osuntokun to notify me of the problem with my
email, I'm trying to use another one now. :-)

To recap, the problem I'm focusing on is the recovery of the unspent
bitcoins stuck inside the Lightning Network after a wallet failure (e.g.
lost or corrupted transaction data put into the wallet storage).

The Lightning Network provides higher speeds and confidentiality for
bitcoin transactions, but the absence of the underlying distributed ledger
makes impossible the recovery of unspent transactions through the
traditional cryptographic seed and the BIP32 address derivation.

My solution, named Açai Protocol, aims to use the watchtowers not just for
monitoring the channels, but also as a backup service in order to solve the
problem.

Compared to the solution proposed in the previous e-mail, I've abandoned
the idea to use a public key to encrypt data in the watchtower, and I've
decided to adopt the concepts of txid, hint and blob, to maintain the
privacy and the security of nodes.

For simplicity, I've created a project on Github:
https://github.com/margheritafav/LightningNetworkProject, where you could
find all the details about the Açai Protocol, and also you are welcome to
add your comments and feedback.
<https://github.com/margheritafav/LightningNetworkProject>
margheritafav/LightningNetworkProject
<https://github.com/margheritafav/LightningNetworkProject>
github.com
Contribute to margheritafav/LightningNetworkProject development by creating
an account on GitHub.

I hope that the explanation of the design is clear, otherwise please do not
hesitate to ask clarification.

Any thoughts/feedback would be really appreciated, to proceed in the wisest
way and find a solution that can also cover all the needs of the community.

If you are interested in this research topic, please do not hesitate to
contact me for a possible collaboration at s170065 at student.dtu.dk.

Thank you very much in advance,

Cheers
Margherita