[Lightning-dev] Base AMP

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Wed Nov 28 00:00:48 UTC 2018

Johan Torås Halseth <johanth at gmail.com> writes:
> (excuse me for not yet understanding what this extra complexity gives us)
>
> To summarize: My suggestion was to only add an optional field to the
> invoice, and let the recepient wait until all funds have received before
> pulling the payment. No changes to the onion.
>
> We briefly discussed this during the last call, that the extra bit set in
> the onion will be necessary to support Partial Payments (PP?) in the
> spontaneous payments case.

The donation case: a BOLT11 invoice doesn't have to specify an amount:

    A writer:
      - If it requires a specific minimum amount for successful payment:
          - MUST include that `amount`

I initially suggested we could just have a 2-byte "number of total
pieces", but it turns out there's a use-case where that doesn't work
well: splitting the bill.  There each payer is unrelated, so doesn't
know how the others are paying.

I've written up an onion proposal to cover this...