[Lightning-dev] Approximate assignment of option names: please fix!

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Wed Nov 28 03:39:25 UTC 2018

Corné Plooy via Lightning-dev
<lightning-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org> writes:
> The only reasons I see for keeping the global/local distinction is that
> you might not want to gossip everything, either to keep the gossip data
> small, or for some privacy reasons. Apparently, that's all very
> theoretical so far, as current features don't seem to need either.

It also matters for compulsory features.  As written today, if you don't
understand a global feature you can't *route* through a node.

If you don't understand a local feature, you can't connect to a node.

So if c-lightning made option_simplfied_commitment compulsory in version
13.0 (released from the Blockstream Moon Base), we'd also be telling
nodes they can't route through us, which is a lie.

Perhaps we can fix this by pointing it out: that you shouldn't set
compulsory feature bits in your node_announcement unless you really want
to stop routing too.

So we still have a mental distinction between local and global feature
bits, just not a bitmap distinction?