[Lightning-dev] Splicing Proposal: Feedback please!

Conner Fromknecht conner at lightning.engineering
Tue Oct 23 05:16:13 UTC 2018

Good evening lightning-dev,

> If we receive later receive two `channel_update`s whose
`short_channel_id`s
> reference the spending transaction (and the node pubkeys are the same), we
> assume the splice was successful and that this channel has been subsumed.
> think this works so long as the spending transaction doesn't contain
multiple
> funding outputs, though I think the current proposal is fallible to this
as
> well.

Thought about this some more. The main difference seems to be whether the
gossiped data is forward or backward looking. By forward looking, I mean
that we
gossip where the splice will move to, and backward looking gossips where the
splice moved from.

If we want to make the original proposal work w/ multiple funding outputs on
one splice, I think it can be accomplished by sending the funding outpoint
as
opposed to just the txid. For the backward looking proposal, the
`channel_update`
could be modified to include the `short_channel_id` of the prior funding
output.
IMO we probably want to include the extra specificity even if we don't plan
have multiple funding outputs on a commitment implemented tomorrow, since
outputs are what we truly care about.

Of the two, it still seems like the backward looking approach results in
less
gossiped data since are able to reference a single confirmed output by
location
(8 bytes), instead of N unconfirmed outputs by outpoint (N*34 bytes).

Another advantage I see with the backward looking splice announcments is
that
they can be properly verified before forwarding to the network by examining
the
channel lineage. In contrast, one can't be sure if the outpoint in a
forward looking
announcement will ever confirm, or even if it spends from the original
channel point
unless one also has the transaction. Until a splice does confirm, a node has
to store multiple potential splice outpoints. Seeing this, it seems to me
that
backward looking announcements are less susceptible to abuse and DOS in
this regard.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Conner