[Lightning-dev] The problem of false positives for double spend attacks

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Wed Oct 24 06:26:04 UTC 2018

Good morning Margherita,

There are no possible double-spend attacks on Lightning Network.

You cannot double-spend your funds unless the other end of the channel agrees to the double-spending.  And what will happen is that the other end of the channel will in fact effectively lose money.  Assuming the other end is rational and has no interest in helping you, they would not agree to a double-spend.  If they are rational and are interested in helping you, they will ask for a invoice and give you the money using existing invoice-payment mechanisms.

So, please consider to focus on other things, like an atomic multipath protocol that supports contingent payment (pay for secret) protocol, or trustless watchtowers.  Or do you refer to publication of revoked commitment transactions?

Further, the "trusted" in "trusted remediation" is a severe negative and is unlikely to be accepted.

If the problem you are trying to solve, is the inadvertent publication of revoked commitment transactions, then the correct solution is not to have revocable transactions in the first place, i.e. eltoo.  While it can be argued that it would take time for needed features of eltoo to appear on the blockchain layer (SIGHASH_NOINPUT_UNSAFE), it would also take time to implement "trusted remediation", by which time the problem could be solved by switching over to eltoo.

Sincerely,
AmkG