[Lightning-dev] Improving payment UX with low-latency route probing

Fabrice Drouin fabrice.drouin at acinq.fr
Wed Oct 31 17:28:58 UTC 2018

Context
======

Sent payments that remain pending, i.e. payments which have not yet
been failed or fulfilled, are currently a major UX challenge for LN
and a common source of complaints from end-users.
Why payments are not fulfilled quickly is not always easy to
investigate, but we've seen problems caused by intermediate nodes
which were stuck waiting for a revocation, and recipients who could
take a very long time to reply with a payment preimage.
It is already possible to partially mitigate this by disconnecting
from a node that is taking too long to send a revocation (after 30
seconds for example) and reconnecting immediately to the same node.
This way pending downstream HTLCs can be forgotten and the
corresponding upstream HTLCs failed.

Proposed changes
===============

It should be possible to provide a faster "proceed/try another route"
answer to the sending node using probing with short timeout
requirements: before sending the actual payment it would first send a
"blank" probe request, along the same route. This request would be
similar to a payment request, with the same onion packet formatting
and processing, with the additional requirements that if the next node
in the route has not replied within the timeout period (typically a
few hundred milliseconds) then the current node will immediately send
back an error message.

There could be several options for the probe request:
- include the same amounts and fee constraints than the actual payment request.
- include no amount information, in which case we're just trying to
"ping" every node on the route.

Implementation
============

I would like to discuss the possibility of implementing this with a "0
satoshi" payment request that the receiving node would generate along
with the real one. The sender would first try to "pay" the "0 satoshi"
request using the route it computed with the actual payment
parameters. I think that it would not require many changes to the
existing protocol and implementations.
Not using the actual amount and fees means that the actual payment
could fail because of capacity issues but as long as this happens
quickly, and it should since we checked first that all nodes on the
route are alive and responsive, it still is much better than “stuck”
payments.
And it would not help if a node decides to misbehave, but would not
make things worse than they are now (?)

Cheers,
Fabrice