[Lightning-dev] Both-side funded channels

Gregorio Guidi greg_g at posteo.net
Wed Sep 12 07:15:48 UTC 2018

Il 12 settembre 2018 06:40:27 CEST, ZmnSCPxj via Lightning-dev <lightning-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org> ha scritto:

>> Don't you agree with me, that right now there is no good way to
>initiate such receiving channel? Don't you think this is quite high
>weakness of LN?
>
>No.  People who have kept their node consistently online for a few
>months generally find that they get incoming capacity anyway; you can
>simply trade off between time and money in this case.

Hello, if I may add another perspective on this issue: from the point of view of a routing node, it is advantageous to be as close as possible to as much merchants as possibile, to capture part of the flow of funds to them.

Therefore, when a new merchant appears, I actually see the possibility of some competition between routing nodes to fund stable channels with them. This could turn the incoming capacity issue perhaps into a non-issue in the steady state.

Regards,
Gregorio