[Lightning-dev] Outsourcing route computation with trampoline payments

Christian Decker decker.christian at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 10:39:13 UTC 2019

Hi ZmnSCPzj,

I think we should not try to recover from a node not finding the next
hop in the trampoline, and rather expect trampolines to have reasonable
uptime (required anyway) and have an up to date routing table (that's
what we're paying them for after all).

So I'd rather propose reusing the existing onion construction as is and
expect the trampolines to fail a payment if they can't find the next
hop.

Let's take the following route for example (upper case letters represent
trampolines):

```
a -> b -> c -> D -> e -> f -> G -> h -> i -> j
```

With `a` being the sender, and `j` being the recipient. `D` and `G` are
trampolines. The sender `a` selects trampolines `D` and `G` at random
from their partial (possibly outdated) routing table. It creates the
inner onion using those two trampolines. It then computes a route to `D`
(`a -> b -> c -> D`). The `hop_payload` for `D` is a TLV payload that
has a single key `t` (assuming `t` is assigned in the TLV spec) that
contains the inner onion. It then initiates the payment using this
nested onion (`a -> b -> c -> D` + trampoline payload for `D`).

Upon receiving the onion `D` decrypts the outer onion to find the TLV
payload containing the `t` entry, which indicates that it should act as
a trampoline. It then decodes the inner trampoline onion and finds the
`node_id` of `G`. `D` then computes the outer onion to the next
trampoline `D -> e -> f -> G`, and adds the trampoline payload for `G`
(the inner trampoline onion we just decoded).

Upon receiving the onion `G` processes the onion like normal, finding
again an inner trampoline onion and decrypting it. Since `j` did not
indicate that it understands the trampoline protocol, `G` is instructed
to downgrade the onion into a normal non-trampoline onion (don't include
a trampoline, rather include the raw payload for `j`). It then computes
the route to `j`, and it creates a normal outer base routing onion `G ->
h -> i -> j`, which completes the protocol.

Like mentioned above the entire job of trampolines is to provide base
routing capability, and we should not make special provisions for myopic
trampoline nodes, since routing is their entire reason for existence :-)

Cheers,
Christian