[Lightning-dev] Improving Lightning Network Pathfinding Latency by Path Splicing and Other Real-Time Strategy Game Techniques

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Thu Aug 8 05:56:13 UTC 2019

ZmnSCPxj via Lightning-dev <lightning-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org> writes:
>> > Typical quotes suggested that commodity hardware would take 2 seconds to
>> > find a route
>>
>> Can you provide a reproducible benchmark or further qualify this number (2
>> seconds)?
>
> No reproducible benchmark.

OK, on my digital ocean 2-cpu 4GB ram ntel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L 0 @
2.00GHz (which is pretty old hardware), an unoptimized c-lighting
implementation returns random routes on mainnet in:

        Between 3 to 347 msec, mean 220 msec.

That's forking lightning-cli, querying, printing result and exiting
(mainnet, 941 successes, 1353 failures, I ignored the times on
failures since they were usually v fast).

On my Raspberry Pi 2B (compiled with -O3):

        Between 21 to 3330 msec, mean 388 msec.

Cheers,
Rusty.