[Lightning-dev] Lightning in a Taproot future

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Mon Dec 16 01:27:59 UTC 2019

Given the timeline for soft forks to activate on Bitcoin, I don't know
why we'd be super conservative about using new features of the Bitcoin
consensus rules. I think obviously we'd want to rush as fast as we can
into adding real cross-hop privacy to lightning payments, given both the
number of awkward edge cases it introduces into the protocol, and the
massive privacy leak.

Changing the underlying commitment transaction structure *could* come
later, as it is, indeed, lower priority (and then the rule would be
"taproot outputs are always lightning" for some time anyway), but, if
you're changing things kinda why not.

Of course once you get privacy across routing hops, the importance of
privacy-preserving routing algorithm work and fixing some other privacy
holes is probably more important, so I could be dissuaded.

Matt