[Lightning-dev] Faking LN transactions to road block chain analysis? Does it make any sense?

Piotr Włodarek contact at qertoip.com
Fri Dec 20 15:22:17 UTC 2019

We do know for a fact that chain analysis software stops tracing
backwards when found a compliant exchange address (good), gambling site
address (bad), etc.

Theoretically, LN channel closure transaction should stop chain analysis
software from analysing the chain further, as it is an exit gateway from
another world, correct?

Not saying this is already implemented by surveillance companies but one
would expect that in the future.

If so, we could envision faking LN like transactions to road block the
analysis.

That would entail: 1) channel funding tx, 2) reasonable delay, 3)
channel closure tx with amount split (and not merged) so it looks natural.

Advantages over using the actual LN I believe are obvious: no liquidity
problem, no data exchange with LN public nodes, simplicity, etc.

Obviously, this assumes LN usage itself is not blacklisted by
surveillance companies.

Does it make sense?

Or am I missing something?

--