[Lightning-dev] Multi-frame sphinx onion format

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Fri Feb 22 03:50:59 UTC 2019

Subnote on this, there's a query on TLV format (1 byte type, 1 byte+
len).

There are two ways to add TLV to the onion:
1. Leave the existing fields and put TLV in the padding:
   * [`8`:`short_channel_id`]
   * [`8`:`amt_to_forward`]
   * [`4`:`outgoing_cltv_value`]
   * [`12`:`padding`]
2. Replace existing fields with TLV (eg. 2=short_channel_id,
   4=amt_to_forward, 6=outgoing_cltv_value) and use realm > 0
   to flag the new TLV format.

The length turns out about the same for intermediary hops, since:
TLV of short_channel_id => 10 bytes
TLV of amt_to_forward => probably 5-6 bytes.
TLV of outgoing_cltv_value => probably 3-4 bytes.

For final hop, we don't use short_channel_id, so we save significantly
there.  That's also where many proposals to add information go (eg. a
special "app-level" value), so it sways me in the direction of making
TLV take the entire room.

Cheers,
Rusty.