[Lightning-dev] An Argument For Single-Asset Lightning Network

Lawrence Deacon lawrence at commerceblock.com
Thu Jan 3 13:42:44 UTC 2019

Good morning,

> On 3 Jan 2019, at 13:04, ZmnSCPxj <ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com> wrote:
>
> Good morning Lawrence,
>
> While true, on Lightning, interest earnings are ***tiny*** enough that the premium "paid" in this manner is minimal.
> Increase in alternative interest earnings for Bitcoin on non-Lightning alternatives would also cut down the available liquidity on Lightning and increase Lightning fees.

If the contract issuer and recipient are different people, the issuer would charge an option price or premium, x_p, which would depend on volatility.

If the issuer and recipient are the same person, they are guaranteed a loss.

> Further, the current nature of cryptocurrency assets is highly speculative and large swings in exchange rates in short time frames are typical.
> Thus the premium paid is minimal compared to the upside of the speculative call option.

This would be reflected in the premium calculated by the contract issuer; x_p increases with volatility.

> Finally, the massive problem here is that the exchange, which enables cross-asset swap, is itself obligated to lock the asset to be called in the contract.
> In particular, the "premium" is ***not paid*** to the exchange node; instead, the "premium", such as it is, is split between both the exchange and the user of the American Call Option, and is paid as a temporary decrease in the supply of both assets to the rest of the economy.
> The galling part is that it violates the principle of "initiator pays", since the exchange, which passively advertises its service, does not initiate the creation of the American Call Option yet is forced to pay for its existence by locking its own assets.

The initiator pays an opportunity cost by depositing funds into the exchange.