[Lightning-dev] An Argument For Single-Asset Lightning Network

Corné Plooy corne at bitonic.nl
Tue Jan 8 13:27:02 UTC 2019

True, as soon as this measure gets implemented (which AFAIK is not the
case right now). However, the attack is not free.

The victim interfaces between two different Lightning networks, each
operating a different asset, possibly on a different block chain (so
that proof of channel closuse on one side cannot be understood on the
other side) or even using a completely different technology. The problem
of the victim arises when an exchange transaction arrives from network
A, the victim forwards it on network B, and then the transaction gets
stalled. The victim can demand a proof that something went wrong on
network B, but cannot propagate that proof on network A. Since the
victim cannot propagate a valid proof, the victim will be penalized on
network A.

My point is: the victim can still demand a proof that something went
wrong on network B. To stall the transaction, the attacker must be
controlling the node on network B that is doing the stalling. The same
anti-spam measure that penalizes the victim on network A *also*
penalizes the attacking node on network B.

The penalties may not be the same: maybe on-chain fees are much lower on
chain B than on chain A. Still, the anti-spam measure should somewhat
reduce the attractiveness of this attack.

CJP