[Lightning-dev] Unification of feature bits?

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Mon Jan 21 05:28:56 UTC 2019

Hi all,

        I have a concrete proposal for feature bits.

1. Rename 'local features' to 'peer features'.
2. Rename 'global features' to 'routing features'.
3. Have them share a number space (ie. peer and routing features don't
   overlap).
4. Put both in `features` in node announcements, but never use even bits
   for peer features.

This means we can both use node_announcement as "connect to a peer which
supports feature X" and "can I route through this node?".

Similarly, (future) DNS seed filtering might support filtering only by
pairs of bits (ie. give me peers which support X, even or odd).

Cheers,
Rusty.