[Lightning-dev] Revocations with OP_CSFS & signed sequence commitments

James Chiang james.chiangwu at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 22:31:47 UTC 2019

Dear all,
 I am trying to understand how channel commitment transactions can be revoked with op_checksigfromstack(msg, sig, key) and signed sequence commitments.

I understand that a commitment c(n, randomness)  is signed by both parties for each state, and that this signature can be verified with op_csfs(c, sig(A+B), key(A+B)). The sequence n is incremented for each new state.

Given the most recent commitment sequence signature (from both parties) and the sequence commitment opening (n++, r), an output script of an older, revoked commitment transaction can verify that a newer signed commitment sequence exists by examining:
op_checksigfromstack(c++, sig(A+B), key(A+B))
c++ == commitment(n++, r)
However, it must also have information about its own sequence number n, so it can verify that this is indeed lower than n++ (current). How is sequence number n committed to the nth commitment tx and accessible on-stack during script evaluation?

I learned about this concept from Johnson Lao's and Roasbeef's Talk from Scaling Bitcoin at Stanford:
https://scalingbitcoin.org/stanford2017/Day1/SB2017_script_2_0.pdf

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

James