[Lightning-dev] More thoughts on NOINPUT safety

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Wed Mar 20 08:07:00 UTC 2019

Hi aj,

Re-reading again, I think perhaps I was massively confused by this:

> - alternatively, we could require every script to have a valid signature
> that commits to the input. In that case, you could do eltoo with a
> script like either:
>
> <A> CHECKSIGVERIFY <B> CHECKSIG
> or <P> CHECKSIGVERIFY <Q> CHECKSIG
>

> where A is Alice's key and B is Bob's key, P is muSig(A,B) and Q is
> a key they both know the private key for. In the first case, Alice
> would give Bob a NOINPUT sig for the tx, and when Bob wanted to publish
> Bob would just do a SIGHASH_ALL sig with his own key. In the second,
> Alice and Bob would share partial NOINPUT sigs of the tx with P, and
> finish that when they wanted to publish.

Do you mean that *either* of the above two scripts is OK, *or* do you mean they are alternatives within a single MAST or `OP_IF`?

If you mean that *either* of the above two scripts is OK, then this script:

    <muSig(A,B)> CHECKVERIFY <Q> CHECKSIG

should probably be used for Watchtower-compatibility.

When creating a new state, both A and B would cooperatively sign with `muSig(A,B)` with a `SIGHASH_NOINPUT` that ensures the state transaction is correct.
Then they somehow derive or share the private key to `Q`.

In the blob sent to Watchtower, A (or B) includes the `SIGHASH_NOINPUT` as well as the `q` private key.
Would it be safe for Watchtower to know that?

Note that the above `Q` would need to be the same in the "state" trunk of the Decker-Russell-Osuntokun construction.

So, building this, our initial setup transaction pays out to script:

    <muSig(A_u,B_u)> CHECKVERIFY <Q> CHECKSIG

Then each update transaction pays out to:

    OP_IF
        <csv_delta> OP_CSV OP_DROP
        <muSig(A_si,B_si)> OP_CHECKSIGVERIFY <Q> OP_CHECKSIG
    OP_ELSE
        <i> OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY OP_DROP
        <muSig(A_u,B_u)> OP_CHECKSIGVERIFY <Q> OP_CHECKSIG
    OP_ENDIF

The `SIGHASH_NOINPUT` signature for `muSig(A_u,B_u)` would then be sufficient to unlock the setup transaction, or any update transaction with lower `nLockTime`.
The watchtower would then have to generate the signature for `Q`, committing to a particular UTXO.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.