[Lightning-dev] Routemap scaling (was: Just in Time Routing (JIT-Routing) and a channel rebalancing heuristic as an add on for improved routing success in BOLT 1.0)

René Pickhardt r.pickhardt at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 29 05:54:01 UTC 2019

Dear ZmnSCPxj and fellow lightning developers,

I want to point out two things and make a suggestion for a new gossip
message.

A good pruning heuristic is "channel capacity", which can be checked
> onchain (the value of the UTXO backing the channel is the channel capacity).
> It is good to keep channels with large capacity in the routemap, because
> such large channels are more likely to successfully route a payment than
> smaller channels.
> So it is reasonable to delete channels with low capacity when the routemap
> memory is becoming close to full.

Intuitively (without simulation). I encourage to make that process not
deerministic but rather probabilistic. It would be good if everyone had a
different set of channels. (which is somewhat achieved with everyone
keeping their local view)

Nodes still need to track their direct channels (so they are implicitly
> always in the routemap).

I strongly advice that the local view should be extended. Every node should
always track their friends of a friend network. Maybe we could even create
a new gossip query message `query_ask_egonetwork` that asks for the
egonetwork of a node (the egonetwork are all the direct friends of a node
together with their friendships) every node knows at least the nodes in
their ego network and over time also the edges between them.

If I was interested in my friend of a friend network I could just send the
`query_ask_egonetwork` message to all my peers.

Best Rene

But payee nodes making BOLT1 invoices could also provide `r` routes in the