[Lightning-dev] [bitcoin-dev] Continuing the discussion about noinput / anyprevout

Chris Stewart chris at suredbits.com
Tue Oct 1 12:23:47 UTC 2019

I do have some concerns about SIGHASH_NOINPUT, mainly that it does
introduce another footgun into the bitcoin protocol with address reuse.
It's common practice for bitcoin businesses to re-use addresses. Many
exchanges [1] reuse addresses for cold storage with very large sums of
money that is stored in these addreses.

It is my understanding with this part of BIP118

>Using NOINPUT the input containing the signature no longer references a
specific output. Any participant can take a transaction and rewrite it by
changing the hash reference to the previous output, without invalidating
the signatures. This allows transactions to be bound to any output that
matches the value committed to in the witness and whose witnessProgram,
combined with the spending transaction's witness returns true.

if an exchange were to once produce a digital signature from that cold
storage address with a SIGHASH_NOINPUT signature, that signature can be
replayed again and again on the blockchain until their wallet is drained.
This might be able to mitigated since the signatures commit to outputs,
which may be small in value for the transaction that SIGHASH_NOINPUT was
used. This means that an exchange could move coins from the address with a
larger transaction that spends money to a new output (and presumably pays a
higher fee than the smaller transactions).

### Why does this matter?

It seems that SIGHASH_NOINPUT will be an extremely useful tool for offchain
protocols like Lightning. This gives us the building blocks for enforcing
specific offchain states to end up onchain [2].

Since this tool is useful, we can presume that it will be integrated into
the signing path of large economic entities in bitcoin -- namely exchanges.
Many exchanges have specific signing procedures for transactions that are
leaving an exchange that is custom software. Now -- presuming wide adoption
of off chain protocols -- they will need to have a _second unique signing
path that uses SIGHASH_NOINPUT_.

It is imperative that this second signing path -- which uses
SIGHASH_NOINPUT -- does NOT get mixed up with the first signing path that
controls an exchanges onchain funds. If this were to happen, fund lost
could occur if the exchange is reusing address, which seems to be common
practice.

This is stated here in BIP118:

>This also means that particular care has to be taken in order to avoid
unintentionally enabling this rebinding mechanism. NOINPUT MUST NOT be
used, unless it is explicitly needed for the application, e.g., it MUST NOT
be a default signing flag in a wallet implementation. Rebinding is only
possible when the outputs the transaction may bind to all use the same
public keys. Any public key that is used in a NOINPUT signature MUST only
be used for outputs that the input may bind to, and they MUST NOT be used
for transactions that the input may not bind to. For example an application
SHOULD generate a new key-pair for the application instance using NOINPUT
signatures and MUST NOT reuse them afterwards.

This means we need to encourage onchain hot wallet signing procedures to be
kept separate from offchain hot wallet signing procedures, which introduces
more complexity for key management (two keychains).

One (of the few) upsides of the current Lightning penalty mechanism is that
fund loss can be contained to balance of the channel. You cannot do
something in the current protocol that will effect your funds outside of
that channel. With SIGHASH_NOINPUT, that property changes.

### A side note
In general, i think we should start disallowing uses of the SIGHASH
protocols that have unexpected behavior. The classic example of this is
SIGHASH_SINGLE [3]. I get uneasy about adding more footguns to the
protocol, which with current network behavior (address re-use)
SIGHASH_NOINPUT would be a big one.

[1] - https://bitinfocharts.com/top-100-richest-bitcoin-addresses.html
[2] -
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/lightning-dev/2019-September/002136.html
[3] -
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2018-May/016048.html

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 9:24 AM Christian Decker via bitcoin-dev <