[Lightning-dev] A Payment Point Feature Family (MultiSig, DLC, Escrow, ...)

Nadav Kohen nadav at suredbits.com
Thu Oct 10 16:22:45 UTC 2019

Hi list and ZmnSCPxj,

Glad this has been helpful and I'm not just stating obvious things :)
always hard to tell once the idea has been had.

>  I think, it is possible to make, a miniscript-like language for such
things.
>  Indeed, the only material difference, between SCRIPT-based
`OP_CHECKSIG`s and Lightning, would be the requirement to reveal scalars
rather than prove your knowledge of them.

Totally agree, and furthermore, another idea I had is that if we want to
adjust any of this to a scheme where you reveal proof of knowledge rather
than the scalars themselves, then rather than just a point, the parties can
agree on a point, a nonce point, and a message and then essentially use
pay-for-signature to have Schnorr signatures revealed rather than the
scalars themselves. This scheme even lets participants use partial
signatures that they can add (though there is potentially some nonce
nastiness involved). It certainly would add complexity but is an option
should it ever be useful. I think. Another thought is that maybe users can
have one key be static (like the node id?) and have the nonce be the
"Payment Point" in my scheme so that the signature is proof that this set
of node ids has collective access to the nonce point?

I really like the Premium-free American Call Option mitigation you've
described here! I totally agree that it is probably best to move to
computational security rather than rational security. I hadn't thought
about how well High AMP inter-operates with the AND/OR scheme to make
things like barrier escrows :) I wonder if there is some nice
generalization of this kind of setup so that being a Barrier Escrow as a
Service can be another way to make money by participating in the Lightning
ecosystem. Maybe this modified High AMP is all there is to it and all we
need is some standard communication interface for these Barrier Escrows?

Best,
Nadav