[Lightning-dev] [bitcoin-dev] RBF Pinning with Counterparties and Competing Interest

Olaoluwa Osuntokun laolu32 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 23:05:17 UTC 2020

Hi Z,

> It seems to me that, if my cached understanding that `<0>
> OP_CHECKSEQUENCEVERIFY` is sufficient to require RBF-flagging, then adding
> that to the hashlock branch (2 witness bytes, 0.5 weight) would be a
pretty
> low-weight mitigation against this attack.

I think this works...so they're forced to spend the output with a non-final
sequence number, meaning it *must* signal RBF. In this case, now it's the
timeout-er vs the success-er racing based on fee rate. If the honest party
(the
one trying to time out the HTLC) bids a fee rate higher (need to also
account
for the whole absolute fee replacement thing), then things should generally
work out in their favor.

-- Laolu