[Lightning-dev] Decoy node_ids and short_channel_ids

Bastien TEINTURIER bastien at acinq.fr
Mon Feb 3 15:05:25 UTC 2020

Hi ZmnSCPxj,

That is precisely what I am referring to, the lowest bits of the node ID
> are embedded in the SCID, which we do not want to openly reveal to Carol.

Got it, I wasn't understanding your point correctly. We totally agree on
that.

Though if the point is to prevent Carol from correlating different invoices
> as arising from the same payee, then my scheme fails against that.

IMO we should prevent Carol from correlating different invoices by using a
different node_id for each invoice.
This requires minimal changes and happens entirely payee-side (see my
initial mail).

Alice would do better to use multiple Bobs in that case.

That's of course a solution as well. Even with that though, if Alice opens
multiple channels to each of her Bobs,
she should use Tor and a different node_id each time for better privacy.

Cheers,
Bastien