[Lightning-dev] Not revealing the channel capacity during opening of channel in lightning network

Matt Corallo lf-lists at mattcorallo.com
Mon Jan 27 14:41:58 UTC 2020

Note that there's no real reason lightning nodes *have* to have
confidence in that - if a node routes your payment to the next hop, how
they do it doesn't really matter. Allowing things like non-lightning
"channels" (eg just a contractual agreement to settle up later between
two mutually-trusting parties) would actually be quite compelling.

The reason lightning nodes *today* require proof-of-funds-locked is
largely for DoS resistance, effectively rate-limiting flooding the
global routing table with garbage, but such rate-limiting could be
accomplished (albeit with a ton more complexity) via other means.

Matt