[Lightning-dev] DRAFT: interactive tx construction protocol

darosior darosior at protonmail.com
Thu Jan 30 10:03:17 UTC 2020

Hi Lisa and all,

Given the discussion about utxos snooping, I wondered if there was any obvious drawbacks of using a transaction chain construction ?

Since the obvious target of the probing is the accepter, it seems that the opener needs to at least have something at stake in order to be revealed some of the accepter's utxos.
Thus, the opener giving the accepter a signed transaction commited to the channel opening is one way of avoiding the opener to probe gratuitously. I was thinking of something like:

A is opener, B is accepter.
A could sign the first input (and accordingly the 2of2 output) with SIGHASH_SINGLE|SIGHASH_ANYONECANPAY. Unfortunately this doesn't handle A's change, but it can be solved using a chain of transaction.
A creates a first transaction txA1:

    txA1 (SIGHASH_ALL)
     _________________ __________________________
    | A's input 1    | A's channel participation |
    |----------------|---------------------------
    | A's input 2    | A's change                |
    |----------------|---------------------------
    | A's input n    |

And then creates /signs the funding transaction out of the first output of txA1:

    txA2 (SIGHASH_SINGLE|SIGHASH_ANYONECANPAY)
    | txA1 vout 0    | 2of2 with B    |

Since txA2 is signed with SINGLE|ANYONECANPAY, B can add inputs to fulfill the value requirement of the 2of2, and add outputs for its own change.

This comes at the cost of more setup fees opener-side, but avoids the accepter to be gratuitously probed, so this is arguably a far lesser evil.
Is there any other downside I'm missing here ?

Antoine