[Lightning-dev] Collaborated stealing. What happens when the final recipient discloses the pre-image

René Pickhardt r.pickhardt at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 17 07:19:03 UTC 2020

Hey Ankit,

The lightning network sees the possession of a preimage as a proof of
payment. And I believe everyone agrees that a court should rule in favor of
A forcing E to deliver the good or reimburse A. The reason is that
possession of the preimage matching the signed payment hash from E is a
much stronger evidence of A actually having paid than E claiming to not
have received anything.
This is also due to the fact that guessing the preimage can practically be
considered impossible (though there is a tiny likelihood)

If E breaches the protocol by giving the preimage to C (for free) instead
of claiming the money from D (and thus settling the Htlc) it will be
considered E's problem, that E did not get reimbursed but just gave out the
preimage for free. (actually E's so called "partner in crime" did get
reimbursed). Even if D would testify that E never settled the Htlc one
would wonder why E never settled the incoming htlc as they should only have
created a payment hash for which they know the preimage. Since A can
actually provide one it is again unlikely if E for example claims they just
used a random hash for which they didn't know the preimage because they
wanted to just see if A has enough liquidity.

With kind regards Rene