[Lightning-dev] [bitcoin-dev] RBF Pinning with Counterparties and Competing Interest

Bastien TEINTURIER bastien at acinq.fr
Sat Jun 20 08:54:03 UTC 2020

Hello Dave and list,

Thanks for your quick answers!

The attacker would be broadcasting the latest
> state, so the honest counterparty would only need to send one blind
> child.

Exactly, if the attacker submits an outdated transaction he would be
shooting himself in the foot,
as we could claim the revocation paths when seeing the transaction in a
block and get all the
channel funds (since the attacker's outputs will be CSV-locked).

The only way your Bitcoin peer will relay your blind child
> is if it already has the parent transaction.

That's an excellent point that I missed in the blind CPFP carve-out trick!
I think this makes the
blind CPFP carve-out quite hard in practice (even using getdata - thanks
for detailing that option)...

In the worst case scenario where most miners' mempools contain the
attacker's tx and the rest of
the network's mempools contains the honest participant's tx, I think there
isn't much we can do.
We're simply missing information, so it looks like the only good solution
is to avoid being in that
situation by having a foot in miners' mempools. Do you think it's
unreasonable to expect at least
some LN nodes to also invest in running nodes in mining pools, ensuring
that they learn about
attackers' txs and can potentially share discovered preimages with the
network off-chain (by
gossiping preimages found in the mempool over LN)? I think that these
recent attacks show that
we need (at least some) off-chain nodes to be somewhat heavily invested in
on-chain operations
(layers can't be fully decoupled with the current security assumptions -
maybe Eltoo will help
change that in the future?).

Thank you for your time!
Bastien