[Lightning-dev] Disclosure of a fee blackmail attack that can make a victim loose almost all funds of a non Wumbo channel and potential fixes

Olaoluwa Osuntokun laolu32 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 01:09:28 UTC 2020

Hi Rene,

IMO this is mostly mitigated by anchor commitments.  The impact of this
attack is predicated on the "victim" paying 5x on-chain fees (for their
confirmation target) to sweep all their HTLCs.  Anchor commitments let the
initiator of the channel select a very low starting fee (just enough to get
into the mempool), and also let them actually bump the fees of second-level
HTLC transactions.

In addition to being able to pay much lower fees ("just enough" to get into
the chain), anchor commitments allow second-level HTLC _aggregation_, This
means that for HTLCs with the same expiry height, a peer is able to _batch_
them all into a single transaction, further saving on fees.

lnd shipped with a form of anchor commitments in our past major release
(v0.10.0-beta). In that release the format is opt in, and is enabled with a
startup command-line flag. For 0.11, we're planning on making this the
default commitment type, giving all users that update the ability to
_finally_ have proper fee control of their commitments, and second-level
HTLC transactions.

> The direction of HTLCs are chosen so that the amount is taken from the
> `to_remote` output of the attacker (obviously on the victims side it will
> be the `to_local` output)

One relevant detail here is that if the attacker is to attempt this with
minimal setup, then they'll need to be the ones that open the channel.
Since they're the initiator, they'll actually be the ones paying the fees
rendering this attempt moot.

Alternatively, they could use something like Lightning Loop to gain the
_outbound_ bandwidth (Loop In) needed to attempt this attack (using inbound
opened channels, but they'll need to pay for that bandwidth, adding a
further cost to the attack. Not to mention that they'll need to pay on-chain
fees to sweep the HTLCs they created themselves. In short, this attack isn't
costless as they'll need to acquire outbound liquidity for an incoming
channel, and also need to pay fees independent of the "success" of their
attack.

> I quote from BOLT 02 which suggests a buffer of a factor of 5

I'm not sure how many implementations actually follow this in practice.
FWIW, lnd doesn't.

> Additionally the victim will also have to swipe all offered HTLCs (which
> will be additional costs but could be done once the fees came down) so we
> neglect them.

No, the attacker is the one that needs to sweep these HTLCs, since they
offered them. This adds to their costs.

> Knowing that this will happen and that the victim has to spend those funds
> (publishing old state obviously does not work!) the attacker has a time
> window to blackmail the victim outside of the lightning network protocol

I don't think this is always the case. Depending on the minimum HTLC
settings in the channel (another mitigation), and the distribution of funds
in the channel, it may be the case that the victim doesn't have any funds in
the channel at all (everything was on the attacker's side). In that case,
the "victim" doesn't really care if this channel is clogged up as they
really have no stake in this channel.

> Also you might say that an attacker needs many incoming channels to
> execute this attack. This can be achieved by gaming the autopilot.

As mentioned above, gaining purely incoming channels doesn't allow the
attacker to launch this attack, as they'll be unable to _send out_ from any
of those channels.

> 1. The current solution is to just not use up the max value of htlc's.
> Eclaire and c-lightning by default only use up to 30 htlcs.

IMO, this isn't a solution. Lowering the max number of HTLCs in-flight just
makes it easier (lowers the capital costs) to jam a channel. The authors of
the paper you linked have another paper exploring these types of attacks
[1], and cite the _hard coded_ limit of 483 HTLCS as an enabling factor.

> 2. Probably the best fix (not sure if I understand the consequences
> correctly) is coming from this PR to bitcoin core

I think you're misinterpreting this PR, but see my first paragraph about
anchor commitments which that PR enables.

> 3. Don't overpay fees in commitment transactions. We can't foresee the
> future anyway

Anchors let you do this ;)

> 4. Don't add htlcs for which the on chain fee is higher than the HTLCs
> value (like we do with sub dust amounts and sub satoshi amounts.

This is already how "dust HTLCs" are calculated. The amount remaining from
the HTLC after it pays for its second-level transaction needs to be above
dust. This policy can be asymmetric across commitments in the channel.

> 5. Somehow be able to aggregate htlc's.

Anchors let you do this on the transaction level (MIMO 2nd level HTLC
transactions).

I hope other implementations join lnd in deploying anchor commitments to
mitigate nuisance attacks like this, and _finally_ give users better fee
control for channels and any off-chain contracts within those channels.

BTW, the "Flood & Loot" paper you linked mentions anchor commitments as a
solution towards the end of the paper. However, they erroneously state that
an attacker would be able to spend their HTLC with a _non replaceable_
transaction. This isn't the case since all redemption paths are encumbered
with a CSV delay of 1. This delay forces the attacker to spend the output
with an input that has a non-final sequence, meaning the transaction is
RBF-able.

[1]: https://arxiv.org/abs/2002.06564

-- Laolu