[Lightning-dev] [c-lightning] v0.8.2 Scaling the Ethereum Blockchain

lisa neigut niftynei at gmail.com
Fri May 1 00:25:37 UTC 2020

We're pleased to announce the 0.8.2 release of c-lightning, named by
@arowser <https://github.com/arowser>.

This is a minor release and includes a few new and experimental features,
as well as bug-fixes and performance wins.
Highlights for Users

   - New config option --large-channels (also known as 'wumbo') which
   enables opening channels of any size. (Note that your peer must also
   support large channels.)
   - This release includes a keysend plugin, which will enable receiving
   'keysend' payments, as first introduced by Lightning Labs
   <https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lnd/pull/3795>. Note that the
   included keysend plugin is receive only for this release. Nodes which do
   not want the hassle of spontaneous unrequested payments should add
   'disable-plugin=keysend' to their config!
   - We'll now announce multiple connection endpoints for a single 'type',
   e.g. multiple IPv4 addresses.
   - A new FAQ
   <https://github.com/ElementsProject/lightning/blob/master/doc/FAQ.md>!
   - Big performance improvment in the pay command (~1s speedup on average)

Highlights for the Network

   - c-lightning nodes can now participate in creating larger channels
   (with the --large-channel config option).
   - We now wait until the first payment through a channel before updating
   the feerate; this should help with some spurious closures at channel open
   or re-connect that were occurring against older versions of other
   implementations.

Highlights for Developers

   - A new command getsharedsecret for getting the BOLT-compliant shared
   secret finding for a node and a point.
   - The API for the 'Bitcoin backend' plugin infrastructure has been
   documented!
   - Facilities for building rendez-vous compatible onions has been added
   to the onion devtool
   - Plugin options will now respect the type they were given in the
   manifest.
   - Fixes with plugin cleanups and hangs.
   - Python2 has been removed as a dependence.

More details can be found at
https://github.com/ElementsProject/lightning/blob/v0.8.2/CHANGELOG.md

Thanks to everyone for their contributions and bug reports; please keep
them coming.

Since 0.8.1, we've had 236 commits from 10 different authors, with 2 first
time contributors:

   - Dr. Maxim Orlovsky @dr-orlovsky <https://github.com/dr-orlovsky>
   - Dave Scotese @dscotese <https://github.com/dscotese>

Cheers,