[Lightning-dev] [bitcoin-dev] On the scalability issues of onboarding millions of LN mobile clients

Antoine Riard antoine.riard at gmail.com
Wed May 6 09:06:11 UTC 2020

I do see the consensus capture argument by miners but in reality isn't this
attack scenario have a lot of assumptions on topology an deployment ?

For such attack to succeed you need miners nodes to be connected to clients
to feed directly the invalid headers and if these ones are connected to
headers/filters gateways, themselves doing full-nodes validation invalid
chain is going to be sanitized out ?

Sure now you trust these gateways, but if you have multiple connections to
them and can guarantee they aren't run by the same entity, that maybe an
acceptable security model, depending of staked amount and your
expectations. I more concerned of having a lot of them and being
diversified enough to avoid collusion between gateways/chain access
providers/miners.

But even if you light clients is directly connected to the backbone network
and may be reached by miners you can implement fork anomalies detection and
from then you may have multiples options:
* halt the wallet, wait for human intervention
* fallback connection to a trusted server, authoritative on your chain view
* invalidity proofs?

Now I agree you need a wide-enough, sane backbone network to build on top,
and we should foster node adoption as much as we can.