[Lightning-dev] Griefing-Penalty: A proposal for mitigating Griefing Attack

Subhra Mazumdar subhra.mazumdar1993 at gmail.com
Sat May 30 14:52:37 UTC 2020

Hi ZmnSCPxj,

Thanks for the feedback. The 1000 block relative confirmation time was just
a representative value, as stated in [1]. We acknowledge that practical
implementations have much lesser confirmation times.
> Yes, to earn by reverse-griefing you can need to trigger the channel to
be closed, but even if you leave it open, there is a chance the
counterparty will close it for no reason it will bother to explain to you.

The possibility exists. Noted.

> Can you describe this in more detail?
Here is our proposal for mitigating reverse-griefing
https://gist.github.com/subhramazumdar/cf7b043a73db136f6a23091d20e51751
Looking forward to your comments.

[1] Poon, J. and Dryja, T., 2016. The bitcoin lightning network: Scalable
off-chain instant payments.
<https://lightning.network/lightning-network-paper.pdf>

--
Yours sincerely,