[Lightning-dev] Why should funders always pay on-chain fees?

darosior darosior at protonmail.com
Mon Oct 5 13:25:15 UTC 2020

Hi Bastien,

> I think that *in some cases*, fundees should be paying a portion of the commit-tx on-chain fees,
> otherwise we may end up with a web-of-trust network where channels would only exist between peers
> that trust each other, which is quite limiting (I'm hoping we can do better).

Agreed.
However in an anchor outputs future the funder only pays for the "backbone" fees of the channel and the fees necessary to secure the confirmation of transactions is paid in second stage by each interested party (*). It seems to me to be a reasonable middle-ground.

(*) Credits to ZmnSCPxj for pointing this out to me on IRC.

Darosior