[Lightning-dev] Hold fees: 402 Payment Required for Lightning itself

Bastien TEINTURIER bastien at acinq.fr
Fri Oct 23 13:06:45 UTC 2020

Hey Joost and Z,

I brought up the question about the amounts because it could be that
> amounts high enough to thwart attacks are too high for honest users or
> certain uses.

I don't think this is a concern for this proposal, unless there's an attack
vector I missed.
The reason I claim that is that the backwards upfront payment can be made
somewhat big without any
negative impact on honest nodes. If you're an honest intermediate node,
only two cases are possible:

* your downstream peer settled the HTLC quickly (before the grace period
ends): in that case you
refund him his upfront fee, and you have time to settle the HTLC upstream
while still honoring
the grace period, so it will be refunded to you as well (unless you delay
the settlement upstream
for whatever reason, in which case you deserve to pay the hold_fee)
* your grace period has expired, so you can't get a refund upstream: if
that happens, the grace
period with your downstream node has also expired, so you're earning money
downstream and paying
money upstream, and you'll usually even take a small positive spread so
everything's good

The only node that can end up loosing money on the backwards upfront
payment is the last node in
the route. But that node should always settle the HTLC quickly (or decide
to hodl it, but in that
case it's normal that it pays the hold_fee).

But what happens if the attacker is also on the other end of the
> uncontrolled spam payment? Not holding the payment, but still collecting
> the forward payments?

That's what I call short-lived `controlled spam`. In that case the attacker
pays the forward fee at
the beginning of the route but has it refunded at the end of the route. If
the attacker doesn't
want to lose any money, he has to release the HTLC before the grace period
ends (which is going to
be short-lived - at least compared to block times). This gives an
opportunity for legitimate payments
to use the HTLC slots (but it's a race between the attacker and the
legitimate users).

It's not ideal, because the attacker isn't penalized...the only way I think
we can penalize this
kind of attack is if the forward fee decrements at each hop, but in that
case it needs to be in the
onion (to avoid probing) and the delta needs to be high enough to actually
penalize the attacker.
Time to bikeshed some numbers!

C can trivially grief D here, making it look like D is delaying, by
> delaying its own `commitment_signed` containing the *removal* of the HTLC.

You're right to dive into these, there may be something here.
But I think your example doesn't work, let me know if I'm mistaken.
D is the one who decides whether he'll be refunded or not, because D is the
first to send the
`commit_sig` that removes the HTLC. I think we would extend `commit_sig`
with a tlv field that
indicates "I refunded myself for HTLC N" to help C compute the same commit
tx and verify sigs.

I agree with you that the details of how we'll implement the grace period
may have griefing attacks
depending on how we do it, it's worth exploring further.

Cheers,
Bastien