[Lightning-dev] Questions on lightning chan closure privacy

Lloyd Fournier lloyd.fourn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 05:05:50 UTC 2021

Hi Lee,

You are touching on some very relevant privacy challenges for lightning. To
your questions:

1. Is it possible to identify which node funded a lightning channel? (this
tells you who owns the change output)
2. Is it possible to identify who owns which channel close output?

I think that the answer to both these questions hinges on whether you
exclusively use private channels. If you fund private and public channels
with the same wallet then it may be possible to identify your private
channels and the owner of the channel and channel close outputs[1].
I've recently tried to describe what I think needs to happen to turn
lightning into an effective layer-1 privacy tool in the "Removing
cross-layer links" problem on bitcoin-problems.github.io[2].

Cheers

LL

[1] https://arxiv.org/pdf/2003.12470.pdf (section 3.2).[2]
https://bitcoin-problems.github.io/problems/removing-cross-layer-links.html