[Lightning-dev] bLIPs are Open for Business!

Ryan Gentry ryan at lightning.engineering
Fri Dec 10 16:28:15 UTC 2021

Hi all,

Earlier this year, I emailed this mailing list about bitcoin Lightning
Improvement Proposals (bLIPs) [1] as a way to help standardize
community-driven app layer and protocol extension development. Today, I am
excited to let you know that the first two bLIPs specifying the process
have been merged [2] and that we are ready to start receiving proposals!

Here are few example proposals I have my eyes on: Val's Keysend bLIP [3],
the Sphinx team's LUMO messaging format [4], Satoshi's Stream's TLV
registry [5], Lightning Node Connect [6], niftynei's accounting
standardization work, some of Impervious's LN-native communications
work, LND's Static Channel Backup system... and I am sure there are many
more!

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you're interested in writing a bLIP
and want help. We're excited about getting this process going!

As a reminder, a bLIP is a design document providing information to the
Lightning community, or describing a new feature for the Lightning Network,
and should provide a concise technical specification of the feature and a
rationale for the feature. Importantly, if a feature is intended to become
universal or near universal, it must be a BOLT [7].

Because of this distinction, the bLIP editors do not pass judgment on
bLIPs, but only monitor bLIP changes, and update bLIP headers as
appropriate. So long as you check the mailing list to ensure nobody has
made a similar proposal before, fill out the required sections specified in
bLIP-0001, and reserve the required feature bit, message type, or TLV in
the bLIP-0002 registry, we are more than happy to merge proposals into the
repo.

Best,
Ryan

[1]