[Lightning-dev] Escrow Over Lightning?

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Sat Feb 13 05:26:40 UTC 2021

Good morning Andres,

> > > Is there any disadvantage about using dual-hash HTLCs?
> > > Is it supported by the current LN spec?
> >
> > It is no supported by current LN spec, and PTLCs are overall superior (they are equivalent to having any number of hashes, not just 2 that dual-hash HTLCs can do).
> > So if we need to change the LN spec anyway, PTLCs are still the better choice, since they enable a lot more, and we probably want to support that in the future anyway, so we might as well do HTLC->PTLC rather than HTLC->2HTLC->PTLC.
>
> But anyway any L2 wallet that interacts with this, will need to be aware of the escrow, so developing an 2HTLC extension for it to work with the current version of bitcoin (instead of waiting for Taproot) should be doable, right?

Every forwarding node needs to support 2HTLC or PTLC, meaning it has to be a network-wide upgrade.
Then once the network-wide upgrade is deployed, individual endpoints just have to understand this protocol.

Because of the need of widespread upgrade, we would prefer to just upgrade once, from HTLCs to PTLCs, rather than have multiple network-wide upgrades.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj