[Lightning-dev] Dropping Tor v2 onion services from node_announcement

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Wed Jun 2 02:41:11 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 10:18:42PM +0000, darosior via Lightning-dev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's been almost 9 months since Tor v2 hidden services have been deprecated.
> The Tor project will drop v2 support in about a month in the latest release. It will then be entirely be dropped from all supported releases by October.
> More at https://blog.torproject.org/v2-deprecation-timeline .
>
> Bitcoin Core defaults to v3 since 0.21.0 (https://bitcoincore.org/en/releases/0.21.0/) and is planning to drop the v2 support for 0.22 (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/22050), which means that v2 onions will gradually stop being gossiped on the Bitcoin network.
>
> I think we should do the same for the Lightning network, and the timeline is rather tight. Also, the configuration is user-facing (as opposed to Bitcoin Core, which generates ephemeral services) which i expect to make the transition trickier.
> C-lightning is deprecating the configuration of Tor v2 services starting next release, according to our deprecation policy we should be able to entirely drop its support 3 releases after this one, which should be not so far from the October deadline.
>
> Opinions? What is the state of other implementations with regard to Tor v2 support?

One small point re: discussing this topic: remember that Tor is a centralized
system with a centralized consensus and directory authorities. So when they say
they are dropping v2 hidden services, at some point in the near future that
central infrastructure will also drop v2 hidden service support, and v2 hidden
services _will_ stop working on the Tor network. So it is pointless to keep
support for v2 hidden services beyond Tor's stated deadlines (other than things
like maybe ignoring old v2-related config options and the like).