[Lightning-dev] Waiting SIGHASH_ANYPREVOUT and Packing Packages

Michael Folkson michaelfolkson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 10:20:40 UTC 2021

I don't want to divert from the topic of this thread ("Waiting
SIGHASH_ANYPREVOUT and Packing Packages"), we can set up a separate
thread if we want to discuss this further. But just a couple of
things.

> Browsing quickly through Greg's piece, a lot of the reasoning is based on FOSS experience from Linux/Juniper, which to the best of my knowledge are centralized software projects ?

That is Greg's point. If Linux doesn't look further than the current
version and the next version with a BDFL (Linus) a decentralized
project like Bitcoin Core is going to struggle even more with longer
term roadmaps.

I think it is important to discuss what order changes should be
attempted but I agree with David that putting specific future version
numbers on changes is speculative at best and misleading at worst. The
record of previous predictions of what will be included in particular
future versions is not strong :)

> What was making sense when you had like ~20 Bitcoin dev with 90% of the technical knowledge doesn't scale when you have multiple second-layers specifications

It is great that we have a larger set of contributors in the ecosystem
today than back in say pre 2017. But today that set of contributors is
spread widely across a number of different projects that didn't exist
pre 2017. Changes to Core are (generally) likely to be implemented and
reviewed by current Core contributors as Lightning implementation
developers (generally) seem to have their hands full with their own
implementations.

I think we can get the balance right by making progress on this
(important) discussion whilst also maintaining humility that we don't
know exact timelines and that getting things merged into Core relies
on a number of people who have varying levels of interest and
understanding of L2 protocols.