[Lightning-dev] Towards more reliable payment path finding via probabilistic modeling the uncertainty of channel balance

Elias Rohrer lnml at tnull.de
Thu Mar 18 08:27:35 UTC 2021

Dear René,

thank you for the great work!

One quick question regarding the consequence you mentioned: it seems
plausible that manipulating the path choices would become harder, if the
ability of doing so was correlated with the capacity locked in the
network. However, if paths were only chosen regarding the probability of
payment success (and neglecting accruing fees), couldn't high-capacity
nodes in absence of competition simply raise their fee levels
indefinitely, since they would be chosen regardless? Do you have any
ideas how to protect against this?

I imagine that some kind of 'mixed' strategy could be reasonable, in
which certain paths are pre-filtered based on the probability of payment
success, and then the final path is selected along the lines of the
currently deployed fee rate/CLTV risk assessment?

Kind Regards,

Elias